Sunday, September 20, 2009

All About Steve

Last weekend, I decided to go to a movie (uncharacteristically) by myself. I went to the gym, picked a late lunch and decided to see a movie that I already knew was panned by every critic and most people that have seen it: All About Steve.

Socially inept Mary latches onto Steve and stalks him cross-country as his job carries him from news report to weather catastrophe as a CCN cameraman. Barely having had a first date, clueless Steve can't seem to shake Mary's advances --- nor does it help that his overly 'helpful' wingman Hartman (Thomas Haden Church) mean-spiritedly continues to keep Mary's fire burning for Steve.

As I said, I was hesitant to see this movie but I'm a fan of Bradley Cooper from his Alias days and I generally find Sandra Bullock witty and charming. I loved her role as the insanely smart outcast. Cooper and friends (Thomas Haden Church and Ken Jeong) were funny, though unbelieveable -- but aren't most comedies fantasies to escape into? The heart of the movie is Bullock's wacky character and the characters that bring out her peculiarities: DJ Qualls & Katy Mixon. I enjoyed this farce -- I'd give it 3.5/5 stars and watch it again as a rental or purchase. It's smart, silly, and fun to watch without the contrived ending we've all come to expect.

No comments: