Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mars in Retrograde - Have you Noticed?

All kinds of things have been going wrong lately, not just in my life but those all around me. In the last few weeks -- myself, friends and family -- have experienced a series of unfortunate events. There have been everything from breakups, to broken fingers that just won't heal, a diagnosis of serious illness, the flu, the loss of health coverage (unexpectedly), to marital troubles (more than norm), strange behaviors, even multiple broken electronic items (that were 'fine' and all of a sudden not), and more!

I was talking it over with my 'teacher' roommate and she half-jokingly said "I had a mom tell me that her 'life coach' said that mars was in retrograde - hence her child's horrific behavior." (Brilliant! I'm using that one in the future!)

Not really knowing what that meant - I turned to trusty google and found out that "it means mars will appear to move backward through the sky as it moves closer to Earth."

Still confused? That's ok - even the ancient Greeks weren't very clear on the idea until 1543 when the term retrograde motion came into play. They proposed this explanation: that planets move in small circles (epicycles) while they traveled the Earth; however, this didn't match the observed behavior of the planets. Copernicus, though, unraveled the mystery by putting the Sun, instead of the Earth, at the center of the solar system. The backward motion, it is now known, is simply an optical illusion. Because both Earth and Mars are traveling in the same direction, but Mars is moving more slowly, Mars appears to move backward in relation to Earth.

Does this scientifically happen? Yes. Does this cause irrational action; introspection; depression and self-assessment; sexual issues and relationship conflicts? Perhaps. I'm not opposed to the notion that there are things at play beyond our tangible universe; however, I don't think blaming the universe will help you.

So what does Mars in Retrograde "supposedly" mean for us?
Supposedly computers, communications, technical stuff all goes haywire.
Things that were started in the past or that was not finished will be re-visited, and old friends may pop up.

It's not a good time to make major decisions or sign contracts or make big purchases.

"Mars endows powerful energy and an indomitable will to succeed, but when poorly placed can mean accidents, injuries, anger, rage, warfare or other forms of violence, according to the inclinations of the sign and house concerned."

I admit, I read my horoscope from time-to-time for fun - a laugh, if you will. (Mostly while passing the time at a doctor's office or the salon. I find it more interesting to read the previous day/week/month's to see if it were true, rather than read my horoscope and have it act as a self-fulfilling prophecy. I was prompted to head to the astrology sites to find the answers from my conversation with my roommate -- and am still not certain I really 'believe' in it. It could be the change in the seasons, people adjusting to the economy and cutbacks, or even just general coincidence. But, if there is anything to this ...

Mars, can you just get back in line? I'd really appreciate it!!

(If you were wondering, Astrologers predict/say it won't be leaving for quite some time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If this is true, F Mars and is station. March?? I can't wait that long.